Saturday, May 15, 2010

10 day countdown!

Time is really flying! If this is any indication, I will be back from Kenya before you know it!

So what am I doing in Kenya? I have been trying to get a handle on all the things the team has expressed interest in me helping them with and this week I really learned a lot! I have a varied SOW or scope of work as we call it but it all relates to education of health workers, either at school before they begin working or refresher training/continued professional development type training once they are in the workforce. This week I have been helping to test tools that will be used in a massive performance needs assessment. The tools are really questionnaires that interviewers will use to collect data. We want to make sure the tools are asking the right questions and are refined so we can collect the best data possible to support recommendations for strengthening and improving how Kenya trains its health workers. It is pretty neat stuff and I love that I have the opportunity to support this work. Marrying public health and education is near and dear to my heart and I really look forward to growing my skills, especially with training workforce supporting family planning (more on that later).

I have hired a temp to cover for my "regular" work while I am in Kenya and that is working out perfectly! Things are falling into place nicely and I feel I won't be leaving my team in a lurch while I am working in Kenya this summer.

I got the darn typhoid shot yesterday. It hurts just like I remember it. Ouch! Tonight I have dinner with one of my closest friends and tomorrow head to Oxford to spend the week with my mom before leaving for Kenya! Whew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment