Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New Beginnings - Sort Of

This year I celebrated the eve of All Saint’s Day, aka Halloween, with a new job! I recently accepted a new position as Program Manager at IntraHealth. I am still working on the CapacityPlus program but in my new role I am transitioning to manage different result areas and a variety of our field programs including Nigeria, Ghana and our work with the LAC Bureau (Latin America and the Caribbean). Expect many exciting blog posts about HRH advocacy, work with HRH Observatories throughout Africa, human resource management, community health workers, cross-border studies, case studies, and Nigeria.


Switching gears, today’s headline on People.com screamed the news that the Duggar family is expecting 20th child. A few hours after their announcement, there was a posting of the family defending their decision to have yet another Duggar baby. My MCH girls and I spent the lunch hour examine the inappropriate birth spacing practices of Michelle Duggar and counting her excessive number of C-sections.


On Yahoo, I read about Mississippi’s Initiative 26. This proposed amendment would not only make abortion illegal but, because of the wording of the amendment, could lead to an outlaw of birth control pills and IUDs. Reading this I was horrified and disappointed.


As much as I promote access to family planning in the developing world, I feel I may need to step up my advocacy efforts for family planning here at home. I am hoping tomorrow's "headlines" are a bit more promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment