Sunday, October 3, 2010

GOAL

I looked up the word "goal" in the dictionary and many of the "definitions" were about sports or an end point of a race. I was looking for that perfect arrangement of words to describe the goal my project just reached - the GlobalGiving goal. The best "definition" was "the end to which an effort is directed" but this really doesn't touch the surface of what it means to have met the GlobalGiving goal for the Open Challenge. It is not the end but just the beginning of an exciting journey for someone in Malawi.

If you are an avid and faithful reader of my blog, you will recall my push for donations on GlobalGiving.org for IntraHealth's project in Malawi. We were raising money to fund tuition for health workers in Malwai - a country with many health-related challenges including a severe shortage of heath workers. As part of the challenge, we had to raise $4000 from 50 different donors to earn a permanent spot on the GlobalGiving site.

We did it. We raised $4585 from 71 different donors. We have earned a permanent spot on the GlobalGiving site to continue raising funds and grow the company's presence thru networks like those on GlobalGiving. But we have done something so much bigger that it makes me want to jump up and dance every time I think about it: WE HAVE ADDED A NEW HEALTH WORKER TO MALAWI'S HEALTH WORKFORCE.

Just think, someone's dream of going to school can now be realized. After graduation, this health worker will be posted to a clinic in Malawi and will help probably thousands of men, women and children during their career. This health worker will help save lives.

This might be one of the most tangible things I've done in my career and I'm so proud to have reached this GOAL with so many supportive colleagues, friend and family members. It means so much to me that people have listened to my countless pleas for this cause. I did not do this alone but I put my heart into promoting this project and I firmly believe in its success. Next up: follow our health worker on his/her journey and continue supporting them as they take on this great next step in entering Malawi's health worker education system and work force.

I love this quote and it has really rang true for me this week:

"People want to know that you care before they care what you know."

3 comments:

  1. I believe that the world would be healthier if all of us became conscious of our neighbors: the spirit of caring would find a better home in our caring deeds. Bravo Amanda and the team!
    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Amanda and team, for meeting your goal and joining the GlobalGiving site. And thanks for a wonderful essay about what reaching this goal really meant. Bravo.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete