Friday, January 14, 2011

Let's open our eyes

This week I am mesmerized by the progress of Congresswoman Gabby Giffords remarkable recovery from a gunshot wound to the head last weekend. I believe I must check CNN at least three or four times a day to read progress updates: "she opened an eye"; "she is focusing"; "she squeezed her husband's hand"; "she is sitting up"......

Unless you live under a rock, you know she, along with many others, were shot at a public gathering in Tucson. On Wednesday, my friend Elly and I (cooked an amazing dinner and) listened to President Obama speak about the tragedy. I respect that he eloquently said such kind words about each of those that lost their lives, especially young Christina Taylor Green. Also, I am particularly inspired by our President's message of national "soul searching". I feel we live in such a divided country these days with constant heated debates and disgust around healthcare and taxes. Perhaps the best quote of the week came from 10-year old boy who said, "Gabby opened her eyes, let's open ours".

1 comment:

  1. Her recovery is definitely a miracle and gives us the hope that we too (as a nation and citizens of this world) can heal. Meanwhile, I know a couple of people who do not listen to the news and they definitely do not 'live under a rock', lol! They are just disinterested in the happenings outside their immediate environment. I am not sure I want to judge them for that because there are a lot of stress stimulators going on in this world nowadays that it might be best to just ignore things that don't affect you directly. On the other hand, we are charged with the responsibility of being one another's keeper.... I guess that is why we were given the right to choose between right and wrong. The question then is who defines "right and wrong"?

    Nice one A!

    ReplyDelete