Thursday, September 16, 2010

Italian canals and root canals

This week my dentist is in Italy. I know this because I have experienced the most intense toothache or any type of ache ever in my life. While my dentist has surely been enjoying gelato while gazing at architecture from Venetian canals, I have been in agony. But thank goodness another dentist in the office was available to see me not once, but twice this week! Though not as lovely as a gondola ride, I got my own "root" canal (a bit cheesy but I couldn't resist). Today I am sore, but very grateful to be on the road to tooth recovery!

This experience reminds me of how fortunate I am to live in a community with access to quality healthcare - which includes quality dental care. So many of my fellow global citizens are not so lucky. It is important for us to remember that our teeth are an important aspect of our health. From early childhood caries to advanced gum disease, if we do not take care of our teeth and gums and our children's teeth, our quality of life can be greatly affected. I learned this lesson first hand this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment