Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Quote

"The most common language is neither English nor Spanish nor Hindi. The most common language is silence - the language of the world's poor and marganilized women." (Indira Gandhi)

Did this strike a chord with you as it did with me? I have been focusing a lot more on gender and human rights in my public health studies lately. I have also been taking on some gender activities at work. It isn't an impossibility that I will will include gender as an aspect in my Masters paper next year. From compulsory steralizations to workplace violence to forced prostitution, women have stigmatized and denied a say in their reproductive health and their basic human rights for centuries. I know this subject is pretty dour but there are so many stories of hope and persaverence. Women around the world are truely amazing. If you live in the Triangle, check out Nicolas Kristoff at UNC on September 14th and at Meredith College on September 20th. Kristoff co-wrote "Half the Sky", which I have blogged about already. It is a wonderful book all about women, who "hold up half the sky".

No comments:

Post a Comment