Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bueno!




Today has been such a relaxing day in Nairobi. I didn’t go to the office but did catch up on a few emails. I also read my book and watched some television. They have mostly news channels but I brought some DVDs with me, which will keep me entertained. Lost Season 3 anyone!

Isaac, Pam’s friend who is staying here as well, walked with me to the shopping center so I could change some money and pick up a few things from the market. I got some yogurt, crackers and my favorite chocolate bars – Kinder Bueno! I can eat them without feeling guilty because our roundtrip walk to the shopping center was just over an hour. In Kenya, this is not far but for me, I thought it was a bit of a distance for the market. I guess I need to get into my Africa frame of mind – or out of my American frame of mind. I remember when I lived in France, my walk to school was about 20 minutes and even longer if I wanted to go to the center of town. Bring on the weight loss! Although if I keep eating the muffins the housekeeper made this afternoon – yummy zucchini muffins from scratch – I’ll need to do a lot more runs to the market!

I used Isaac’s phone to call my mom. Our 7-minute conversation was about 140 Kenyan Shillings or around $2. Not too bad. I hope to get a SIM card for my phone tomorrow and some credit so I can call home once or twice a week for a short talk with mom.

Speaking of phone calls, I called the office to ask when everyone usually arrived to work. They said 7:30. Oh I am not in Chapel Hill anymore! Early wake up calls for me this summer!

Before I sign off, I’d like to wish my cousin Richard a Happy Birthday! Richard, you rock!

Pictures of my candy bars and my room hopefully downloaded. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment