Thursday, June 3, 2010

Finally in Kenya! So happy!

I've made it safely to Nairobi! I wasn't sure I was going to make it as planned. When I landed in Amsterdam, they didn't have a gate for us so we had to wait on the runway and then deplane using stairs. Then we had to wait for a bus to take us to the terminals. When I finally got to the terminals, of course my gate was an estimated 15 minute walk away. I gathered all my strength and ran like I was on the Amazing Race. If you were in Schipol Airport yesterday, I was that weird girl running thru the airport! Thankfully, I just made the flight. I was a bit disappointed not to get my yummy chocolate in the Amsterdam airport but I'll be back next month.

I did manage to get some sleep on the flights. Just a tad on the flight to Amsterdam and more on the flight to Nairobi. I did a bit of reading, a bit of movie watching and a bit of just sitting. Well a lot of sitting. I met a few interesting folks but the most interesting and inspiring was Charles. He is from Sudan. He was flying to Uganda to see his family. Charles is one of the Lost Boys of Sudan who lived in a camp starting from age 3 because of the war in Sudan. The UN arranged for him to live in the US and he now lives in Boston and works at Costco. He was separated from his family but amazingly found them 14 or 15 years later! He says now he goes to visit them and each time meets new cousins. Reflecting on how much I have enjoyed my time with my mom the past few weeks, I can't imagine living for so long not even knowing if she were alive or where she lived. I hope Charles is having a happy reunion in Uganda this week!

Another miraculous event was that my bags arrived. I was prepared for them not to make it since I barely made it to the plane but KLM surpassed my expectations. When I landed in Nairobi, it was a breeze getting thru customs, getting my bags and the car was there to take me home. I am staying with my friend and colleague Pam and her home here in Nairobi is lovely. Beautiful. I have my own room and bathroom and the house is really spacious yet cozy. Since Pam and her husband are on holiday at the coast, I was greeted by her other house guest Issac, who is from the Kisumu area of Kenya. Issac helped me get my bags to my room and after a few minutes of unpacking and checking email, I crashed! It was easy to sleep - not only was I exhausted but it was raining, which I love.

So here I am, full day number 1 of my adventure. I got 10 hours of much needed rest and a lovely shower to wash off the plane. I feel so very blessed to be here and I know it my bones this is going to be such a fulfilling experience for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment