Monday, June 21, 2010

Nyama Choma

Yesterday, I had my first Nyama Choma to celebrate Father’s Day with Scott and Pam. This traditional Kenyan meal is basically roasted meat. We got ribs (goat meat) that was roasted for about 45 minutes. We also ate traditional Kenyan veggies. I normally don’t like eating goat meat or any meat off the bone but Nyama Choma was fantastic! By the end, my belly was full and my hands were a little dirty but I have to say, this was delicious! It is exciting to experience these traditions. I am just happy I didn’t have to participate in slaughtering the goat.

I had actually forgotten it was Father’s Day. Ever since losing my father 10 years ago, I try and block out that holiday but this year, I couldn’t escape it. I went to church and so much of the service was about fathers. This one woman wanted to read a letter she had written to her father at the end of the service. It was beautiful. She wanted to publically thank him for all that he sacrificed for her chance of a good education. She was so eloquent, proud and by the end of her letter, not only was she crying but everyone in the church was teary-eyed. I was so happy her father was there to hear her read him that letter. I felt a twinge of sadness that I never got a chance to say anything like that to my own father because he died so suddenly. However, like this woman’s father, my dad sacrificed so much for me. I am so grateful to have had him in my life, although it was too short of a time. I like to think my dad is proud of me now – half-way to a Masters degree, traveling the world and learning new things. A santé sana Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment