Tuesday, June 1, 2010

En Route!

I am officially on the way to Nairobi! My journey has so far taken me to Detroit (where I am currently blogging in the Delta Lounge). Next I will take an 8 hour flight to Amsterdam, followed by another 8 hour flight to Nairobi. I'm happy to be reading a good book, which I plan to devour over the next 20 hours. Has anyone else read Girl with the Dragon Tatoo? I got this book for Christmas from my Uncle Stevie and I'm just now getting to it.

I will admit, I have not been thinking about work this past weekend. All I wanted to do was spend time with my family and friends and I did just that! Mom and I got to relax a lot and play with the dogs. We also visited with cousins on Sunday after church where we all enjoyed each other's company outside in the sunshine. In addition, I got to see some of my dearest friends growing up - a relaxing dinner with Becky and a quick, spontaneous visit with Fairley. I am so lucky that my roots take me back to a town where so many of my closest friends' families still live. Becky and I were commenting that we are so glad we still keep in touch and how thankful we are that we really did have an idealistic childhood in Oxford. My dad always said for me to never forget where I came from - I certainly havn't Daddy! I hope you have been smiling down from heaven the past dozen or so years as I have been taking journeys like this one to Kenya.

Speaking of Oxford, I'd just like to say once again that I had such a great time at home with my mom. Thank you so much mom for all you did for me during my stay. You are so awesome! How did I get so lucky to get you for a mom?

So for now, it's just me, the computer, the book and a glass of wine to relax before this long journey. Please keep me in your thoughts and cross your fingers for no Icelandic volcanic erruptions.

3 comments:

  1. You sound so patient & relaxed. Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy I got to see you too! Have the most wonderful time Amanda!

    ReplyDelete